Daughter*

Friday, February 27, 2009

KIDS

Most people probably know it's gauche to ask a woman with a little extra weight around the middle whether she's pregnant or, god forbid, "When are you due?'' Well, as a married, childless woman, I decided that the converse of this tacky question is, "Why don't you have kids?'' Are you kidding me? It's not like I was riding a bus reading a book on "reproductive troubles of late 30-somethings.'' This was someone I was interacting with in a business capacity. And I'd just signed a boatload of paperwork on sexual harassment in the work place. This woman, who chatted wildly about her own children, persisted in her questioning about whether I wanted kids and when I said, "Parenthood isn't for everyone,'' she shrugged in disapproval. I considered winking at her, but as she rolled my fingers across the LiveScan machine (to send my prints to the DOJ) I thought better of it.

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger tibbi said...

you must live the dream as others want you to- that what it means to be American!!!


(laughing)

good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home